Canton had its early beginnings as part of an Indian trade route into the Cherokee Nation. This early frontier settlement know as Etowah was incorporated by action of the State Legislature in 1833. Two of the founding fathers had visions of the town becoming a silk center similar to what existed in Canton, China. It is believed that this is the reason for wanting the name changed from Etowah to Canton. In 1834 the name change was approved
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of Georgia MLS real estate. Listings held by other brokerage firms are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Information is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed. Copyright 2017 Georgia MLS. All righst reserved.